Sunday, August 3, 2014

2014-08-03 GAZA: 6 yo journalist

A little Palestinian boy has won Twitter users’ hearts as he posed in his garbage bag-turned flak jacket and a helmet reading TV. The boy told a Swedish reporter, who took the shot that got nearly 9k retweets, that one day he will be a journalist too.
View image on Twitter
Young boy in pretending to be a journalist with his home made flak jacket, had to lend him my helmet.
Yazan Hilliss is only 6 years old, but he probably has more to tell about the war in Gaza than any of the journalists working there. And as he told a Swedish radio journalist Johan-Matthias Sommarström this is what he is going to do when he grows up.
As Sommarström tells, the boy approached him outside his hotel and said: "I am a journalist. I am reporting on what is happening here, this is my flak jacket.”
Wearing an old black garbage bag which he tied around the belly and chest, Yazan had to borrow Sommarström’s helmet reading TV to complete his “reporter look”.
“I'm wearing a helmet and journalist clothing. I want to be a journalist when I grow up, I'll take pictures,” Yazan told Sommarström.
This is when the Swedish reporter took a picture that in just few days received close to 8,500 retweets on Twitter, on the moment of this publication. Nearly 4,500 people added the photo to their favorites.
“For a moment he shone with pride. His friends were laughing happily and dancing around him. He got a little embarrassed and then I took the picture,” Sommarström told Swedish Radio.
That day, July 31, they talked more, and Yazan shared his story.
“Yesterday and the day before I saw the rockets hit the port,” Sommarström quoted Yazan in his story published on Sveriges Radio website.

No comments: